If your vision has gotten cloudy or blurry with age, you may develop cataracts. It is a common condition, especially in older adults and can be treated through your eye specialist.
Causes of Cataracts
You may develop cataracts due to protein buildup in the lens of your eyes and your eye vision can be cloudy. It prevents lights from reflecting through properly. Some of your eyesight may be lost. Cataracts can be caused due to different conditions like
- Congenital – It is the condition that occurs since birth. Some of the common causes are injury, infection, or poor development in womb. They can also be forming in childhood.
- Age based – These cataracts form with age.
- Traumatic – It is caused due to injury.
- Secondary – This condition takes place due to certain medical conditions like diabetes. These conditions can be caused due to UV rays, toxic substances, and radiation or by taking medicines like diuretics or corticosteroids.
Smoking, heavy drinking and air pollution are other common causes that can increase risk of developing cataracts.
These conditions usually form eventually. You may not notice them until they start blocking light. Here are the common cataracts symptoms –
- Cloudy, foggy, blurry, or filmy vision
- Problems in driving at night (glare from upcoming headlights)
- Changes in how you see color
- Glare during the day
- Trouble with contact lenses or eyeglasses not working at all
You will be examined to test your vision by your eye specialist. He will dilate the pupil to check your eyes’ lenses and other parts. Be sure to bring your contacts or eyeglasses.
Your doctor will give a prescription if can be treated with contacts or glasses. Or you may need surgery if it causes trouble in your daily life.